Friday, February 04, 2005

So ... a Blog.

I'm a little late getting into this whole blogger craze, despite the amount of time I procrastinate surfing the Weird Wild Web. And to tell the truth, not entirely sure of what the hell I'm doing here. However, it's 4 am, I seem to be stuck in the "on" position and I've been meaning to start one of these things for a while, so better late than never. And I suppose that just like everyone else who does a personal "blog", there is an element arrogance and public exhibitionism. The exhibitionism I imagine comes from the same place that streaking did in the 70's - only this time we're exposing our thoughts to public ridicule instead of our bodies. An info-age, superhighway, cyber-thingamajiggy type of brain streaking. The arrogance from the fact that any of us believes anyone other than our own parents is going to read these things and care about what was being written. I think I like these blogger reasons better than the alternative - that our super-sized, bigger-is-better, SUV, "better living through chemicals" society has so alienated us from the collective back-rub of humanity that Blogging is the only recourse we have for supplementing some missing social ties. Oh for a verandah, friendly neighbours, some lemon aid and a rocking chair...

Of course, this is all about the little bloggers, like myself, without the "thousands of influential readers" that patronize the blogs of the more articulate. And I suppose like a lot of bloggers out there, this is a great forum for writer wannabe's (like myself) to put thoughts out to the general world and test their reception.

So don't expect consistency. These entries of mine will likely be random thoughts sparked by overheard conversations in coffee shops and emailed in from my cellphone at weird hours. I'll try to make them thought provoking and entertaining. After all, that's just good writer practice, and I suppose I'm practising to write here. If anyone other than my wife and family decide to read and/or comment on things, well thank you. If not, thank you to Blogger for allowing me to send out my message in a bottle.

-Mark

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay! Welcome to the Blogger world! I can't believe I got one of these things before you did! heh - I look forward to reading your "random musings" in the future! Take care!

2:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home